[INTERVIEW] Baek Yerin: There's Time Like That Too

The thoughts of the artist who sang out words with her unique voice, of the girl who's coy and insecure.


Q: We were thinking about whether to hold the photoshoot outdoor, it's lucky that we chose to do it indoor. How do you feel about days like today when rain pours down? Honestly, even if you say you like it, wouldn't the rainfall be too heavy?
I hate it if it rains too heavily. Still, I like it as I can wear my Dr. Martens. I like Dr. Martens. It's a pity that I can only wear sandals or such most of the time during summer, it's good that I can wear (them) when it rains.

Q: You have a voice that's nice to be listened to during days like this.
Haha. Thank you.

Q: I've listened to the album you released not a while ago. It sounded lighter and more comfortable compared to the last one.
I made this album with the aim to create music that is light and great to be listened. The project itself was small scale, I created it comfortably while talking with 구름 from the band Bye Bye Badman*. The MV and photos were taken according to my style too. It's probably because I made it so comfortably that it sounded so.

*구름 is the keyboard of band Bye Bye Badman, and the vocal and producer of group CHEEZE.


Q: I like the emotion given out from the melodies and the lyrics that go well with them, just like how it was from your last album. Do you enjoy writing stuff that's not lyrics during your leisure as well?
Yes I do. I write photo-essay, diary, sometimes I write postcards to the people I like, and I want to write a book of poetry, so I occasionally write poems too. In fact, in the early days, I wanted to write more than making music, but it seems the words come out from music.

Q: Then did you write the lyrics (for this album) before creating the melody?
They're created in 2 ways. There are times when the words I wrote according to my feelings found a nice track to be together with, and there are times when I wrote words on my memo that are suitable to the track I've heard.

Q: All the lyrics are in hangul. Is that because the foundation of the lyrics is words (written)?
Yes. Usually when I write my diary, I don't mix English words in it. It just happens to be that way as I write in my diary.


Q: You don't really do promotion activities like broadcast programs and performances for your solo music. Is that your intention to do so?
Rather than saying I do that intentionally, it's more of the lack of my confidence. 2 to 3 years ago, when I promoted as the team 15&, it was good because I did whatever people told me to do. There was no purpose at all. It wasn't because I wanted to become some kind of artist, but it's more of liking to sing right at that moment, so I did a lot of things just as people told me to. After that, there was a gap before I released my solo music, I developed an appearance complex at that time. I don't like my appearance that's on the TV or being taken on photos. That's how I become not outspoken in front of people, and I'd reject any chances even if there's any provided to me. Even so, people around me help me a lot so I'm trying to be a bit more outspoken this time. As there begins to be some performances that I do, though I don't like standing in front of people, it has become more natural to me to do it.

Q: Which kind of genre of music do you like?
Since long time ago, the lyrics and music I wrote are greatly influenced by musician Amy Winehouse. I am influenced in terms of my understanding to jazz and urban genre of music and what's a good composition to be made of. Sometimes I like punk music like Avirl Lavigne too, though.

Q: When you're making music, are there any person who believe in you and would always listen to your music?
The producer who works with me would always listen, but still, it's my producer who's taking a look of it so there are times when I get embarrassed when I let him listen to some rough and incomplete drafts. During those times, I'd send (the drafts) to my friends or people around me who likes music. I wouldn't say 'It's good, isn't it?', but I'd ask them 'Is it just average?'. (Laugh)


Q: Do you feel alright if they answer "it's average"?
I haven't heard of that yet. In fact, I think the drafts I made roughly have some kind of my charm in it. Maybe I send (the drafts) to the people who understand that only, that's why no one disliked them.

Q: You are at the age of 20 when there would be so many things you're interested in besides music. What's something you're interested in these days?
Recently I'm interested in videos. Usually I save the videos I watch on vimeo or youtube that are interesting, I also edited a few of the videos I like and suggested them to the company as reference for the music I made this time. I also want to record band live videos. Recently I watched the movie "Sing Street", the music is certainly good but the guy who has orange hair is so cute that I've watched a few more times. I want to record live performance videos of such cute band or Bye Bye Badman whom I like.


Q: Do you have interest in creating a band yourself?
Actually, before I met 구름 who's the producer, I had no single idea about bands. I know bands that I listened to a lot, but I had never seen people performing instruments. But sometime ago, I was invited to watch a show, it's so much cooler than I thought. I always sing in the corner of the room, make demos, I always do my things alone and that's why it was amazing to me. As I watched it live, my interest in bands increased, and I started to want to do that kind of music too. 

Q: Is that why you learnt to play the guitar?
My father played in a band. So I learnt playing the chords just by watching, and now I'm able create demos with it. I'm still not up to the level where I can play it in front of people. I'm now thinking whether to learn it properly.

Q: You're a talented person who can write, create music, make videos and play the guitar. Is there anything that you can't do?
I've become independent and am living alone. I'm fine with cleaning the place, and I like cooking, but I can't clean up the food that have been in the refrigerator for a long time. I can't put away the molded things. That's why whenever (something becomes molded), I'm waiting for my dad to do it. Is it too humuilating? Haha. But it's really scary.
Previous
Next Post »